The Inauguration Of The Tanjong Lobang College In Miri, Sarawak
On this day in 1969, Tanjong Lobang College in Miri, Sarawak was inaugurated by The Most Honourable Chief Minister of Sarawak, Dato’ Penghulu Tawi Sli. This college was the first Government Secondary School established in Sarawak. The Tanjong Lobang College was first established as a secondary school with a temporary building in 1957. The school had a total of 4 classes, which were form 4 and form 5 classes, transition class for Chinese medium students, one trainee teachers’ class, six teachers and 87 students, and used English as the medium of instruction. In 1959, the Tanjong Lobang Secondary School was relocated to its permanent building, about 5 km from the Miri Town. In 1963, the first form 6 class began. Beginning from 1967, the school accepted form 4, 5 and 6 students only and in 1969, only form 6 students were accepted. Consequently, on this day in 1969, Tanjong Lobang Secondary School was inaugurated as a college named Tanjong Lobang College. On the 3 July 1973, the college was renamed to Tun Datu Tuanku Haji Bujang College. At this time, the Tun Datu Tuanku Haji Bujang College had 18 form 6 classes of Science and Arts streams, 12 form 4 and form 5 classes as well as 45 local graduate teaching staff. With the inauguration of the Tanjong Lobang College on this day in 1969, selected students from all over Sarawak were able to pursue their studies to a higher level.