KAMUNTING - OR KELIAN BAHARU VILLAGE - C.1890
DocumentDescription: The main mining centre of Larut between 1840-50 was at Kelian Pauh, where the Taiping gaol now stands. (Kelian Pauh was re-named Taiping meaning "Peace" after the Larut War). An elephant which was used by the miners escaped into the nearby Kamunting jungles and when recaptured was found to be covered with mud rich in tin ore. This led to a wild rush to Kamunting - to the "new mines", or Kelian Baharu, later re-named Kamunting. This photograph shows Kamunting Village in about 1890. The main mode of transport then was "by elephant" which can be seen on the left.